The list below provides information about, and links to, existing initiatives developed by other organisations seeking to involve men in gender-related issues, especially focusing on gender and technology (all listed in alphabetical order).
General Initiatives on gender and technology
Note that these do not all specifically focus on involving men.
- EQUALS: a ground-breaking global initiative delivered by a committed network partnership of businesses, governments, non-profit organizations, foundations, academia, media and individuals around the world working together to bridge the digital gender divide
- Gender Gap in Science – a global approach to the gender gap in Mathematical, Computing and Natural Sciences: how to measure it and how to reduce it.
- National Center for Women and Information Technology (USA) The National Center for Women & Information Technology (NCWIT) is the only USAn non-profit focused on women’s participation in computing across the entire system, helping more than 1,100 organizations recruit, retain, and advance women from K-12 and higher education through industry and entrepreneurial careers by providing support, evidence, and action. NCWIT is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, chartered in 2004 by the National Science Foundation.
- UNWomen is the UN organization dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide (see also their engaging men activities).
- Women 2.0 (w2.0) is a media and tech company offering resources for women to grow in their careers and companies in the tech space. In 2017 it created an Allies Committee and invited a group of men to serve as active agents in closing the gender gap in tech.
Initiatives seeking to involve men in gender-related issues
Note that these do not all specifically focus on technology.
- European Institute for Gender Equality has done some work in support of involving men
- HeForShe is a UNWomen initiative inviting people around the world to stand together to create a bold, visible force for gender equality. And it starts by taking action right now to create a gender equal world
- Male Allies As we look ahead, we’re hopeful that more people will show up as allies for underrepresented minorities and women in the tech industry. That you will take a stand. That you will leverage your voices and your power to make real change to improve diversity. The tech industry desperately needs it. And we’re here to help show you the way.
- MenCare mainly around parenting
- MenEngage Alliance In order to achieve gender justice for all, we believe men and boys need to be part of the solution as allies to women’s rights and other social justice movements. Equality is only possible if we work together. We advocate for approaches that are grounded firmly in feminist, human rights-based principles, and build on the work of women’s rights organizations and movements. We advocate for approaches that critically challenge and transform patriarchal gender norms and power inequalities across all levels of society.
Please use our contact form to get in touch and recommend other initiatives that should be included here.
Thanks to Kate Brodock for suggesting material to be included here.